Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Deer Chase

So the other day I'm taking Sid out and we're about to head in when he spots some deer in the neighbor's yard. I had him on a leash so I wasn't worried. Just as I was thinking that, he lunged and the leash went flying out of my hand. I called after him but it was just too late. He was into mode and on the trail. I ran after him into my neighbors yard. Steve's mom's yard. I asked her if she saw Sid and she said, 'I think I may have. All I saw were two little black ears flying through the woods.' That made me laugh but I was really worried. A little more worried than usual because the leash was still attached to him. I was afraid he'd get snagged on something and get stuck or get kicked in the head by a deer.

So I'm out in Steve's mom's yard screaming his name every two minutes and squeaking his toy nonstop for over a half hour. Steve's mom hops in her car and goes around the neighborhood asking people if they'd seen a big, black german shepherd. And nothing. Then she gets a phone call. I thought it was from one of the people she'd talked to - I thought she must've given them her phone number. But it was Steve. A lady found him. His phone number is on Sid's tag.

Apparently, he ran all the way through the woods, past church property and onto the property of a distant neighbor whose sister we happened to be good friends with - small world. I was so happy to see Sid and he looked cute in a big ole SUV. She said he was sitting at her doorstep as she was about to leave the house. I figured he exhausted himself. Didn't know where he was and stopped into the first house he saw. He was panting like crazy when he got home and didn't stop for like a full ten minutes. I was mad at him but more worried and relieved then anything else. So that's the dog tale!

No comments: